Ready for the Men’s Health Urbanathlon 2010?
The Men’s Health Urbanathlon is one race which hubby & I have been wanting to join every since we started running. Unfortunately, we never got to participate as race kits sell out faster than Go Nuts Donuts during its heydays. We promised ourselves that we will not miss this year’s event.
Then one morning as I was about to start a meeting, an email invite from Georgina delos Reyes of Summit Media arrived. She was inviting me to attend the media conference of the upcoming Men’s Health Urbanathlon. I hurriedly said yes, curious if I would be given a free race kit and just like Cinderella’s Godmother, Georgina asked for my preferred race distance and singlet size. NICE! A free kit! Destiny!
I have to admit that I greatly enjoyed myself during the conference. Mainly due to the following reasons:
1. I was with the company of runner friends who I have not seen for months. It gave me the chance to catch up with them and get back the the motivation to join their training activities.
2. Food was delish. They had salad which is just perfect as I am on a strict 1,600 calories-a-day diet and I’ve already consumed more than 3/4ths.
3. The host, Arlo Vicencio, was VERY entertaining. I was laughing my heart out. He started by asking us not to wonder why he sounds like a girl and explaining why he had to take over for his boss who was absent during the conference. Hilarious!
4. Prizes galore. I don’t expect all organizers to have prizes during each mediacon. I’m a simple gal. Food, company and a well-organized press briefing is good enough for me. I was just happy that everyone went home with a giveaway…and that I won the first raffle prize of the night…an original Avatar DVD! This was raffled by DTI of the night…Georgina
5. And of course, the free Race Kit! Destiny, I’m telling ya!
About the Event
So the 2010 Men’s Health Urbanathlon will be held on November 7, Sunday at 5:00AM at the Bonifacio Global City (Fort). Start and finish lines will be located at the back of the NBC Tent.
There will be four (4) categories: MEN’S 5K, WOMEN’S 5K, MEN’S 10K, WOMEN’S 10K. As of 11:43am today, October 13, there are only 8 slots for 10k available. Interested? Head on to 360 fitness in Ortigas to grab a 10k kit. Only 10k finishers will have a medal. For 5k runners, head on to ROX to register. Rush, rush as there are limited slots and registration is only until October 26.
Race Fee whether 5k or 10k is P500. A bright yellow (loving it!) shirt, your race bib, drink stubs from Gatorade, food stubs courtesy of Century Tuna, a Men’s Health Magazine with Marc Nelson on the cover (didn’t really care to hear what month it was issued….sigh….he’s HOT) will be included in each kit.
Unlike your usual races, you will have to traverse different obstacle courses to get to the finish line. Each obstacle is a challenge of its own. If you can’t finish the obstacle, you may opt to just add penalty time to your total run time.
- WALL – Climb up & go down an 8ft wall. If you opt not to finish it, you will be penalized 15mins on top of your time.
- HURDLES – Jump or go over 3ft hurdles. This is tough for me as the hurdles’ height is more than half my height! Penalty: 5mins
- LOW CRAWL – As the name implies, crawl low. Penalty: 10mins
- SCAFFOLDING MAZE - Go through a maze. Penalty: 10mins
- BALANCE BEAM – Balance your way from one end of a beam to the other end. Penalty: 5mins
- TIRE DUMP – Make your way across/over 200 tires. Penalty: None. No choice. You really have to pass through this obstacle.
After the race, there will be a festival area where you can eat, drink and be merry! Men’s Health will also be launching their Men’s Health Coach bookazine during the event so don’t miss it.
Remember…Rush, rush! ;p See you there!